Clayton West United Reformed Church, Church Lane, Clayton West, Huddersfield, HD8 9LY
It is with sadness that this church will hold its final service on Sunday 24th March 2019.
Clayton West is ten miles from Huddersfield, nine miles from Wakefield and eight miles from Barnsley. It is in a rural setting and has become a 'dormitory' village as most of its inhabitants work in nearby towns. There is some light industry housed in small industrial units as well as farming.
THE CHURCH BUILDING
An Independent chapel was opened on the site in 1794 but in 1859 the building was felt to be too cold and damp. It was demolished in 1864 and a new building was erected on the same site and was opened in 1866. This building is still in use today.